Mouse move, mouse enter, license and test problems

TeeChart for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, Xamarin Studio (Android, iOS & Forms) & Monodevelop.
annelise

Mouse move, mouse enter, license and test problems

Post by annelise » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:34 pm

Hi,

Following the install of the new TeeChart version (Number: 3.2.2746.19160) we have a list of problems...(even with the last release)
Could you tell us please, if you plan to solve them rapidly or how to solve them.

1-
I have a problem with the last version of tee chart
On the mouse move, I executed the following function:

private void tChart1_MouseMove(object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
{
System.Console.Beep(500,500);

hScrollBar1.Size = new Size(this.Width, (int)(0.1 * this.Height));
hScrollBar1.Size = new Size(this.Width, (int)(0.15 * this.Height));
}

And it loops in the mouse move. It doesn't if I comment one of the 2 lines.
My scroll bar is one of the dotnet framework.

2-
The MouseEnter event of the TeeChart seems to be not trigger as often as in the previous version

3-
We have some problem when testing our code using TeeChart on multi threaded testing machines

4-
We have a problem with the way you manage the licenses.
It needs to add a reference on TeeChart in the application.exe and we prefer not to have to add a reference in it.
It causes a real problem in our test using nunitForm, because it implies to re-compile nunitForm.exe to add the reference on TeeChart ...
Could you tell us how to solve this problem please.

Thanks a lot,

Best regards,

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:12 pm

Hi annelise,

Please find below the answers to your questions:

1. I already answered this issue here. If you didn't understood my reply or have any comments on the issue please let us know.

2. I've tested it and it fires every time that the mouse enters in the chart area. Could you please elaborate on that and send us a simple example project we can run "as-is" to reproduce the problem here?

You can either post your files at news://www.steema.net/steema.public.attacments newsgroup or at our upload page.

3. Which exact problems are you having? Could you also send us a simple example project reproducing the issue and give us some information on the environment we should make the tests?

4. If you want to tie the license to the level of your assembly you can try using a new version optimised for plugins. I'll send you an e-mail with the details to obtain this version.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

cweiland

Post by cweiland » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:04 pm

I am having a similar problem with licensing. I don't want to have the license file/dll reference in my executable, but rather have them in only my dll assembly. Would I also be able to try this new version for plugins?

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:53 am

Hi cweiland,

Sure! Just sent you the details to obtain the plugin license.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

cweiland

Post by cweiland » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:52 pm

I'm having trouble getting this to work. The included example solution is C#, but I'm using C++/CLI for my project, so it does not help very much. I was able to get the example solution to work, but it seemed to only work when the path to the .dlls were that of the compiling machine. For example, it wouldn't work if I put all of the dlls in the same directory as the exe, saying that it could not find PluginWithTeeChart.dll. I'm not sure if that's a hardcoded path within the code or it's a path in the project settings. It was also looking for the debug version of PluginWithTeeChart.dll even when running the release build of the host app.

Anyway, here's my story so far:
I uninstalled the vanilla teecharts library from my development machine and installed the plugin version of teecharts. After doing so, I was not able to inspect/modify/create existing or new charts in the visual studio designer. I uninstalled the plugin version and reinstalled the vanilla version to make sure that I could at least continue my work with a working teecharts library, which I was able to do.

I have just tried installing the plugin version along side of the vanilla version, hoping that I could just point my project references to the plugin version when compiling. I am still able to use charts in the designer and compile the plugin, but I am still unable to run the plugin containing the charts on my test machine. I copied the TeeChart.dll from the plugin version to the working directory of my application, and tried copying the <plugin>.dll.licenses file as well, without success.

I'm not sure what to try next.

Marc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Marc » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:57 am

Hello,

Re. "could not find PluginWithTeeChart.dll. I'm not sure if that's a hardcoded path within the code"
Yes. The example project uses paths coded into the calling form. If you move things around you'll need to update the paths or replace them with a file selector dialogue.

Re. "was not able to inspect/modify/create existing or new charts in the visual studio designer"
For a straight swap in, standard assembly to plugin assembly, I would expect no real difference in use. The issue most likely cause of problems here may relate to project parameters for paths and/or assembly build dependency. Are you running the new assembly from the same location? Were you able to build your project? If not, what error messages did you see?

Re. "unable to run the plugin containing the charts on my test machine."
What error messages do you see?

With thanks.
Regards,
Marc Meumann
Steema Support

cweiland

Post by cweiland » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:27 pm

Marc wrote: Re. "was not able to inspect/modify/create existing or new charts in the visual studio designer"
For a straight swap in, standard assembly to plugin assembly, I would expect no real difference in use. The issue most likely cause of problems here may relate to project parameters for paths and/or assembly build dependency. Are you running the new assembly from the same location? Were you able to build your project? If not, what error messages did you see?
I am not able to compile my project. I get the following error:
1>.\licenses.licx (1) : error LC0004 : Exception occurred creating type 'Steema.TeeChart.TChart, TeeChart, Version=3.2.2796.22187, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=9c8126276c77bdb7' System.ComponentModel.LicenseException: An instance of type 'Steema.TeeChart.Chart' was being created, and a valid license could not be granted for the type 'Steema.TeeChart.Chart'. Please, contact the manufacturer of the component for more information.
1> at System.ComponentModel.LicenseManager.CreateWithContext(Type type, LicenseContext creationContext, Object[] args)
1> at System.ComponentModel.LicenseManager.CreateWithContext(Type type, LicenseContext creationContext)
1> at System.Tools.LicenseCompiler.Main(String[] args)

I have just uninstalled both versions of teecharts, installed the plugin version, removed the old toolbox items from my designer, manually added the toolbox items from the plugin version of teecharts, and manually replaced the project reference to teecharts with the plugin version of teecharts. The only thing that I can think of that might still be a problem would be the .licx file that was generated from the vanilla teecharts. Beyond making sure that the version listed in the .licx file and the version of the teecharts dll match (which they do), I'm not sure how to fix this. Perhaps the public key is wrong?

Besides any references to the teecharts dll, all other parameters are the same.
Marc wrote: Re. "unable to run the plugin containing the charts on my test machine."
What error messages do you see?
The error is:
"An instance of type 'Steema.TeeChart.Chart' was being created, and a valid license could not be granted for the type 'Steema.TeeChart.Chart'. Please, contact the manufacturer of the component for more information."

Marc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Marc » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:45 pm

Hello,

The compile error message you describe is what one might see if the TeeChart Designtime key is not installed in the machine. As that is unlikely if your standard TeeChart v3 is functioning correctly then, alternatively, if licenses.licx is at a project level where there is no reference to TeeChart or to an assembly that in turns references TeeChart then that error message is a possibility. The licenses.licx file should exist only in the project where a reference (via another 'carrier' assembly if necessary) to TeeChart exists. The key difference for the plugin version is the option to place licenses.licx only at the assembly project where it is referenced and at a higher assembly project (a running exe for example) to then have no licenses.licx or reference to TeeChart (or carrier assembly) and still compile successfully.

Regards,
Marc
Steema Support

cweiland

Post by cweiland » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:13 pm

Well, it appears that the installer for the plugin version of teecharts does not install the design-time registry key, which was preventing me from designing/compiling. I ran the registry utility, and now I am able to compile.

However, I am still unable to run my plugin on my test machine. I still get the same licensing exception when it tries to instantiate the chart.

The .licx file is being built into my plugin, not my executable, which is this point of this "plugin-optimized" version of teecharts, correct? Just to be clear, I need to be able to display charts in a plugin that will be loaded from an executable that does not have any sort of connection to teecharts, and on a computer without any teecharts libraries, except for the TeeCharts.dll that will be distributed with the executable (or anything else that needs to be present that I'm not aware of).

Marc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Marc » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:23 pm

Hello,

Re. "Charts in a plugin that will be loaded from an executable that does not have any sort of connection to teecharts"
Exactly. Indeed that is the way the example solution is configured (note the Assembly Load instruction being used is reference independent in approach).

Are you able to get a standard project to license in VC++? There is a technique to compile licenses in VC++ projects that differs from the C# approach. Please see Tutorial 17 for details. If you have a sample solution that you are testing that reproduces the issue please send it to us and we'll take a look (via news://www.steema.net/steema.public.attacments or http://www.steema.net/upload/).

Regards,
Marc
Steema Support

cweiland

Post by cweiland » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:34 pm

Yes, I can get build an executable, copy the exe and TeeChart.dll to another machine and run it just fine.

I've uploaded "TeeChartPlugin".zip to the http upload form. It should compile/run under a release build. I think that it should reproduce the same problem that I am having.

cweiland

Post by cweiland » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:00 pm

Did that upload go through? Did it demonstrate what my problem is? I haven't heard back since my last post.

cvconcrk

Plugin-optimized version of TeeChart?

Post by cvconcrk » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:44 pm

4. If you want to tie the license to the level of your assembly you can try using a new version optimised for plugins. I'll send you an e-mail with the details to obtain this version.

Hello, could I also get details about this TeeChart version? We are currently having licensing troubles with our current version of TeeChart (v2.0.2652.22325). This is somewhat of a documented issue on your forums now- we use TeeChart in a .dll that we develop, which is referenced by a third-party application that has no TeeChart license information (and we cannot modify that third-party .exe). When the client machine tries to have our plugin create a TeeChart instance, an exception is thrown ("...object reference not set...GetLicense(..."). Also, we did not seem to have this issue with our previous TeeChart version (v1.?), which is consistent with other people who had this error (I did see the explanation for this in the other thread). Is this "plugin-optimized" TeeChart.dll what you would recommend for our situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.