Difference between Line an Points Styles

TeeChart for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, Xamarin Studio (Android, iOS & Forms) & Monodevelop.
Mike Jones
Advanced

Difference between Line an Points Styles

Post by Mike Jones » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:09 am

I was trying to figure out when I want to use a Style.Points style or a Style.Line style.

Other than the obvios regarding drawing lines between the points are their any other behaviors or functionality that I should consider when deciding which series to use?

Edu
Advanced

Post by Edu » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:51 pm

Hi Mike

You can read the "Tuturial 6 - Working with Series". In the tuturial you can see a class diagram, and find more information about Points and Lines Series.
Best Regards,
Edu

Steema Support Central
http://support.steema.com/

Mike Jones
Advanced

The tutorial is helpful, but ....

Post by Mike Jones » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:45 pm

That tutorial you mention is helpful but does not really answer my question. It would be nice to see a summary of features for each series type. In my particular case I want to undestand when I want to use a Points versus Line series.

I do not see anywhere that provides me the information on what one can do over the other. I feel like I must create a demo for myself to learn what all each series can do before I can make an intelligent decision. (The Feature Demo application has about 75% coverage in this area IMO). It is kind of like: I need to understand how a combustion engine works to drive a car. That should not necessarily be the case.

It would be extremely helpful to have a table summarizing the features of each series. Or at a minimum put in the Help documentation a little more explanation of each series style.

Currently the TeeChart Programmers Guide provides me with a wordy version of the Class View in Visual Studio 2005. It would be most helpful if the TeeChart Programmers Guide summarized each series style and what each series can do.

Thanks,

Mike Jones

Edu
Advanced

Post by Edu » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:24 pm

Hi Mike

The underlying structure of the Line series is the same as the Points series, but line series draws a line between points (Point may optionally be enabled for the Line).

Code: Select all

line1.Pointer.Visible = true;
Use of either Series tends rather to be a subjective choice, according to the Style that best suits the viewer. For many random points that tends to err in favour of the Point Series, ordered data often views better via Line.
Best Regards,
Edu

Steema Support Central
http://support.steema.com/