QRTeeChart - Missing Datasource. Quick Report 5 and 2016.18

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
Carl

Re: QRTeeChart - Missing Datasource. Quick Report 5 and 2016.18

Post by Carl » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:50 am

I have had some successes, Everything is as per your instruction Doc, but if i put a copy of both BPL's in the C:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\18.0\bpl which is $(BDSCOMMONDIR)\Bpl and install it from that location it will install with no errors.

I used the DclTee9QR506D24 which you sent me, not the DclTQR924 which was installed from the installer.

I can see the chart in quick reports, it has a qrdbchart listed too. And in the series section of the chart the datasource list now shows dataset and the other sources that where missing before. It lists the correct fields in each series as per setup in RAD 2010 which worked.

The program compiles fine, but when it runs the following occurs when the datamodule is created during run time which holds the query for the chart.

I get error message below
exception Class ChartException with Message 'No valid datasource: query1'

The coding is fine in Rad Sudio 2010 and compiles/ runs ok at that point. All i have done is compile it in Berlin which happens ok.

Idea's?

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:00 am

Hi Carl,

Glad to hear some good news!
Carl wrote:I get error message below
exception Class ChartException with Message 'No valid datasource: query1'

The coding is fine in Rad Sudio 2010 and compiles/ runs ok at that point. All i have done is compile it in Berlin which happens ok.
Does a new simple example project compile and run fine? Could you please arrange a simple example project we can run as-is to reproduce the problem here?
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software
Av. Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia (SP)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Please read our Bug Fixing Policy

Carl

Post by Carl » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:37 pm

Ok, will do so this week. ta

Carl

Post by Carl » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:34 am

I made a quick project and find that as per attachment that i can get it to display data in both a standard DBChart and a Quick report during design.
It will compile but when it goes to run the app it loads till it reaches the creation point for the form. It will run ok if i remove the series from Quick report and then the standard db will display fine.
Attachments
Report Preview.jpg
Report Preview.jpg (140 KiB) Viewed 41243 times

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:07 am

Hello,

I've done a simple example using a TADOTable and it seems to work fine for me here:
Project1_2016-06-22_13-05-18.png
Project1_2016-06-22_13-05-18.png (37.07 KiB) Viewed 41247 times
testQRTable.zip
(2.46 KiB) Downloaded 1298 times
Does it work fine for you?
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software

Carl

Post by Carl » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:38 am

Hi, I tested the project you zipped back. It works during design time, it will compile but when it runs it still says it is missing a datasource
Cheers
Carl

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:48 am

Hi Carl,

It uses attached database. Which needs to be set like this:
Attachments
TeeChartProDB.png
TeeChartProDB.png (10.41 KiB) Viewed 41218 times
Sample Data.zip
(10.17 KiB) Downloaded 1301 times
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

Carl

Post by Carl » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:24 am

Hi,
I had hooked it up to a odbc source, error still occurs.
I think you may have missed what i was saying, during design i can live preview the data ok. It will also compile fine. However when the compiled file is run at that point it fails.
The sample odbc database is as per image below is viewable during design, but not when it runs live.

Cheers
Carl
Attachments
Error.jpg
Error.jpg (174.62 KiB) Viewed 41217 times

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:51 pm

Hello,
Carl wrote:However when the compiled file is run at that point it fails.
I can run the project I attached above without errors.

If you remove the TQuickRep/TQRChart does the error disappear for you?
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software

Carl

Post by Carl » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:50 pm

Hi,

if remove only the TQRChart and leave the dbchart and the Quickreport frame it will compile and display the dbchart data fine.

Cheers
Carl

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:52 am

Hi Carl,

If the TDBChart component recognizes the dataset but not the TQRDBChart in the TQRChart I can only think it can be possible because by some mean they are referencing different TeeChart packages.
I'd check the paths are correct, I'd rebuild the TQRChart packages, I'd install them again and I'd check the paths again.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software

Carl

Post by Carl » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:36 am

Ok, have had a further development, Its a result though not the one i had hoped for.

if i put the DclTee9QR506D24.bpl & the Tee9QR506D24.bpl in "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\18.0\bpl".
And put DclTee9QR506D24.dcp, QrTee.dcu, Tee9QR506D24.dcp, TeeQRTeeReg.dcu in "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\18.0\DCP\Win32".
And add DclTee9QR506D24.bpl to the packages then the program works and all is well in the world.

How ever the above files are the ones you sent me. The files that are compiled when i use the installed ones that i should have used from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steema Software\Steema TeeChart Standard VCL FMX 2016.18\Delphi24\Delphi24.win32\QuickReport" are DclTQR924.bpl, DclTQR924.dcp, QrTee.dcu, TeeQR924.bpl, TeeQR924.dcp, TeeQrTeeReg.dcu. I re downloaded and installed it afresh yesterday so it got the latest files from your server.

If i use those ones and put them in the same locations it still fails with datasource issues.

Just to clarify i am using the QR506D10_1_BERLIN installer for quick reports.

How come the naming of the files are so different. Between the downloaded/installed ones and the ones you sent me in the zip?

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:32 am

Hello Carl,
Carl wrote:if i put the DclTee9QR506D24.bpl & the Tee9QR506D24.bpl in "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\18.0\bpl".
And put DclTee9QR506D24.dcp, QrTee.dcu, Tee9QR506D24.dcp, TeeQRTeeReg.dcu in "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\18.0\DCP\Win32".
And add DclTee9QR506D24.bpl to the packages then the program works and all is well in the world.
These are the packages that have been tested for us in an environment as similar as possible to your environment. So, if they work for you, please use those!
Carl wrote:How ever the above files are the ones you sent me. The files that are compiled when i use the installed ones that i should have used from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steema Software\Steema TeeChart Standard VCL FMX 2016.18\Delphi24\Delphi24.win32\QuickReport" are DclTQR924.bpl, DclTQR924.dcp, QrTee.dcu, TeeQR924.bpl, TeeQR924.dcp, TeeQrTeeReg.dcu. I re downloaded and installed it afresh yesterday so it got the latest files from your server.

If i use those ones and put them in the same locations it still fails with datasource issues.
Yes, we have to check the packages that are shipped with the installation. These packages are automatically generated and sometimes aren't perfect enough.
Carl wrote:How come the naming of the files are so different. Between the downloaded/installed ones and the ones you sent me in the zip?
We give a different name to the packages we prepare manually for customers with problems with the packages shipped with the installation precisely to differentiate them.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software

Carl

Post by Carl » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:19 pm

I dont want to be rude but that is an Interesting response, You said alot without really anwsering the inital issue. Why?

The way i got it to work is not a option any body suggested either so i am some what concerned that this option is not a good one.

I guess what i am saying that yes they are working now, how ever it is not a good solution as i still dont know why it wont work the way it is supposed too.

I will be leaving the current chart components as they are but it also means i dont dare update delphi in case it stops working in mean. So i will have to leave it for at least a year or so before i try to upgrade.

What is so different between the pre compiled files that you sent me and the installed ones? Your environment where you compiled them in must be different to mine, I installed delphi with defaults. I did not change anything for the install so technically it must be the same as yours assuming your install was done by default. If not what different options did you have.

I do have some recommendations though.
The install doc that comes with the files needs to be updated then.
1. It references file names that are incorrect if you only send the correct ones if people have issues.
2. The locations that the doc says to put the files need further though eg... in the win32 folder is also a release and debug folder, do we put files there or just leave them in the primary folder. but if we leave them in the win32 folder we will also need to add that file path. etc....

Could you consider adding to the quick reports folder that needs compiling a folder holding precompiled ones?

Cheers
Carl

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:20 am

Hello Carl,
Carl wrote:I dont want to be rude but that is an Interesting response, You said alot without really anwsering the inital issue. Why?
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough. Please don't hesitate to ask us to explain anything with more detail if you have any doubt.
Carl wrote:The way i got it to work is not a option any body suggested either so i am some what concerned that this option is not a good one.

I guess what i am saying that yes they are working now, how ever it is not a good solution as i still dont know why it wont work the way it is supposed too.
I'd say the "best" solution is the one that works for you.
The recommended paths to put the compiled .bpls, .dcus, etc should work as they are the preferred paths where the IDE looks for them: $(BDS)\bin for the design time packages, System32 or SysWOW64 for the runtime packages, and $(BDSLIB)\$(Platform)\release for the .dcus, .dcps, etc
I'm afraid I'm not sure why this way doesn't work in your setup. However, the solution you found could be useful to others with a similar problem.
Carl wrote:I will be leaving the current chart components as they are but it also means i dont dare update delphi in case it stops working in mean. So i will have to leave it for at least a year or so before i try to upgrade.
I'm sorry you found this process so problematic. The next time we will be here trying to help again, if it serves of anything.
Carl wrote:What is so different between the pre compiled files that you sent me and the installed ones? Your environment where you compiled them in must be different to mine, I installed delphi with defaults. I did not change anything for the install so technically it must be the same as yours assuming your install was done by default. If not what different options did you have.
I believe the packages that are shipped with the installer were made when QuickReport was included with the IDE, and they are automatically generated for the newer IDEs. The installer tries to compile these packages, but it may fail. We have to revise these packages.
The precompiled packages we sent were built with an environment manually set trying to replicate your very same environment. We use to do this when a customer finds problems with the packages above.
Carl wrote:I do have some recommendations though.
The install doc that comes with the files needs to be updated then.
1. It references file names that are incorrect if you only send the correct ones if people have issues.
We'll revise the document as well.
Carl wrote:2. The locations that the doc says to put the files need further though eg... in the win32 folder is also a release and debug folder, do we put files there or just leave them in the primary folder. but if we leave them in the win32 folder we will also need to add that file path. etc....
If I'm not wrong, the "$(BDSLIB)\$(Platform)\release" is by default in the paths in the IDE.
Carl wrote:Could you consider adding to the quick reports folder that needs compiling a folder holding precompiled ones?
The problem with this is that in distributing precompiled packages would make us to deppend on QuickReport.
- If Embarcadero publishes a new IDE, do we wait QuickReport to publish their packages or we publish a TeeChart version without QuickReport integration?
- When QuickReport would publish an update, we should publish a new release with the packages precompiled for that version.

Ideally, the installer would detect what QuickReport version you have installed and would do all the job, and it already tries! The problem is it sometimes fails.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software