Delphi VCL 2006 vs TeeChart .NET for Delphi .NET development

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
SteveP
Advanced

Delphi VCL 2006 vs TeeChart .NET for Delphi .NET development

Post by SteveP » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:43 pm

I'm beginning to develop desktop applications for .NET using Delphi having used Delphi Pro VCL for a while for WIN32 applications. I'm not using Web, ASP, or database. What issues, comparisions, feature sets, etc are of concern when considering the use of Delphi VCL 2006 vs TeeChart .NET for this ?

Are all the chart types and chart tools available in both ?

Which has the potential to be fastest (if a difference at all) for ColorGrid or 3D surface type plots ?

Delphi 2006 is written in Delphi VCL, TeeChart .NET in native C# .NET. Does this mean they may not necessarily parallel each other in feature development or bug fixes ? For example, TeeChart .NET Ver 2 mentions alternate axis labelling which the VCL version has had.

Cross-posted to .NET forum to enable users with experience to respond.

Steve

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:29 pm

Hi Steve,
I'm beginning to develop desktop applications for .NET using Delphi having used Delphi Pro VCL for a while for WIN32 applications. I'm not using Web, ASP, or database. What issues, comparisions, feature sets, etc are of concern when considering the use of Delphi VCL 2006 vs TeeChart .NET for this ?

TeeChart VCL can be used in VCL and VCL.NET forms (Delphi for Win32 and Delphi for .NET) applications while TeeChart for .NET can be use in .NET WinForms and WebForms applications.
Are all the chart types and chart tools available in both ?

TeeChart for .NET doesn't have some series styles that VCL version has. However, those series styles are not the main ones.

TeeChart VCL version has more years of development behind it than TeeChart for .NET. However, .NET version benefited from that experience and it is almost on the same level as the VCL version and we are strongly working on it.

For exact features comparision I'd suggest you to check and compare both versions features demos.
Which has the potential to be fastest (if a difference at all) for ColorGrid or 3D surface type plots ?

TeeChart VCL relies on the Win32 API while TeeChart for .NET is fully written in C# managed code. This means it's based on Microsoft .NET Framework. Win32 API is known to be really faster than the .NET Framework. That's why we are considering going unmanaged or creating a TeeChart for .NET unmanaged version.
Delphi 2006 is written in Delphi VCL, TeeChart .NET in native C# .NET. Does this mean they may not necessarily parallel each other in feature development or bug fixes ? For example, TeeChart .NET Ver 2 mentions alternate axis labelling which the VCL version has had.
As I told you before, the two versions are not identical but we are working on making them grow together and being more similar one to each other.

Regarding the alternate axes labels feature, it's present on both versions.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum