TeeChart 2010 wishlist 1

TeeChart Beta versions
odissey1

TeeChart 2010 wishlist 1

Post by odissey1 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:09 am

Hi,
Please consider it as wishlist for upcoming versions.

This one related to default Chart settings upon initialization. Every time I drop TChart component on a Form, I have to open an ChartEditor and go though following settings:

1. Go to 3D -> uncheck 3 Dimensions (never used 3D feature for 2D Charts - looks odd)
2. Legend -> uncheck Visible (used Chart Legend very rarely, and mostly custom painted)
3. Walls -> Back -> Uncheck Transparent,
and set Color = clWhite or clNone (why default is dark clGray?)

4. Axis -> Left Axis -> Labels -> Min Separations -> set 40-60% (default 10%)
(+do the same for the Bottom Axis)
This is done to prevent erratical change of Grid spacing on Axis scrolling.

5. Axis -> Left axis -> Ticks ->Grid->Color->Define Custom Color -> Set RGB(200,200,200) if BackWall.Color = clWhite
or Set RGB(55,55,55) if BackWall.Color = clNone
(+do the same for the Bottom Axis)
This is because the Grid looks too bright.

Regards,
odissey1

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TeeChart 2010 wishlist 1

Post by Narcís » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:30 am

Hi odissey1,

I'm afraid not all TeeChart users would agree on which is desired default aspect for their charts. So I recommend you to create your own chart template exporting your desired aspect to a TeeChart native template file (*.tee) and then use it for all your charts. You'll find more information in tutorial 12. Tutorials can be found at TeeChart's program group.

Hope this helps!
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

odissey1

Post by odissey1 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:04 am

Hi Narcis,
I use TC since v5.0 (since 2000), and have to say that appearance of TChart didn't change since that 'prehistoric' time. Maybe it is time to consider..

At least some default settings are odd. For example, why Tab 'LeftPanel' is open by default in ChartEditor -> Walls? Who uses 'LeftPanel' in 2D Chart?
Does anybody edits this panel? It is 'BackWall' Tab should be opened by default (ChartEditor -> Walls -> Back), because it needs editing frequently.

Why the BackPanel default color is clGray (dark gray)? Does anyone uses this color ever?

And regarding changing 10% label spacing to 40%: it does not changes visual appearance at all. The only thing it changes is NO FLICKER while scrolling!!!

just a suggestion
regards,
odissey1

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:15 am

Hi odissey1,

In that case I would strongly encourage you to check out TeeChart Pro 2010 VCL Beta. Lots of enhancements have been implemented since v5, default aspect being among them. Also bear in mind that changing default aspect may break or give unwanted output to existing customers so we must be very careful when changing that.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

TestAlways
Advanced

Post by TestAlways » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:13 am

I understand both points of view here.

My hope is that Steema does very well. They are a big part of my application, and I want them to have the a successful business.

Initial impression is important. What new users see with a new TChart isn't pretty. Changing the settings over time should be expected--it certainly isn't breaking any code. I can imagine that a few people wouldn't be happy (I've seen images of TCharts on the web where there was no improvement to the image of the chart--and no one is going to say "Gosh, where can I get that chart--it's cool!").

I do think making it look better out of the box could only help Steema's sales, even if it made a small handful vocal for a short period of time.

Another solution (or could be seen as a complementary solution) I think having an expert pluggin for Delphi that allows for configurations to be named and by right clicking over a new chart and selecting the saved template could make a lot of users job a lot easier.

My solution has been a little different... I have a unit that has a function, ConfigChart(), where I can pass it a chart and it will set the default settings to the chart. I call that for all of my charts and that way any time in the future I want to change the appearance of my charts, I can do most of it in one method.

Ed Dressel

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:37 am

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

Of course, I think similar to you and we are not reluctant to make changes in TeeChart's appearance. More over, we are willing to enhance it and making it more attractive to viewers while trying not to sacrify its power. If you have looked at TeeChart 2010 VCL beta, we are trying to make VCL version more similar in appearance to .NET version as, for example, many clients asked how to get those charts in the gallery, made in .NET, with the VCL version. For such things we are favouring GDI+ canvas which allows nicer shadings than GDI. Also, we have changed default theme and color palettes and introduced new themes with more modern looking. Having a look at the new features demo in v2010 beta should give you an overview of what I'm saying.

Back to what odissey1 suggested, I have the impression the changes he suggests are very specific for his/her needs.
Another solution (or could be seen as a complementary solution) I think having an expert pluggin for Delphi that allows for configurations to be named and by right clicking over a new chart and selecting the saved template could make a lot of users job a lot easier.
This is already available in the .NET version and I've added it to the wish-list to be considered for inclusion in the VCL version. Also notice that TeeChart for .NET has a custom themes feature which would certainly help here too. It's already on the list to be implemented for TeeChart VCL.
Best Regards,
Steema Software