Series objects

TeeChart for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, Xamarin Studio (Android, iOS & Forms) & Monodevelop.
UserLS
Advanced

Series objects

Post by UserLS » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:04 pm

In VCL version every object has a tag property, which we are heavily using for series in the charts. Now, moving to the .NET version I was surprised to find, that they do not have a tag property anymore. When I load a chart from saved template file I absolutely have to be able to tell which series is what and all I have at that point is SeriesID, saved in our table. Any ideas?

Also, we desperately need a way to convert VCL templates into .NET format and this cannot be a manual process since our clients have the files in their data sets, which we have no access to (even if we had, we are talking about several thousands of files and nobody here has enough time to do so by hand)

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:20 am

Hi Profitstar,
In VCL version every object has a tag property, which we are heavily using for series in the charts. Now, moving to the .NET version I was surprised to find, that they do not have a tag property anymore. When I load a chart from saved template file I absolutely have to be able to tell which series is what and all I have at that point is SeriesID, saved in our table. Any ideas?
In the VCL version, Tag is a property inherited from TControl. It's already on our wish-list to implement such a property for the .NET version. In the meantime you could try using Title or Description properties for that purpose.
Also, we desperately need a way to convert VCL templates into .NET format and this cannot be a manual process since our clients have the files in their data sets, which we have no access to (even if we had, we are talking about several thousands of files and nobody here has enough time to do so by hand)
We created a tool for converting TeeChart VCL/ActiveX template files to TeeChart .NET template files. I'll send you an e-mail with the URL to download it.

Hope this helps!
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

UserLS
Advanced

Post by UserLS » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:38 pm

As far as I understand, this utility, first, is not fully automated (and our users are not capable to do use it then), second, requires ActiveX control installed on their computers (which they will not do for various reasons). The biggest problem there - in some instances, your template files are embedded into another binary file, which is generated by our report writer. Your utility will not be able to convert them. This conversion should occur in our .Net application whenever they open the report writer file for the first time after conversion to .Net (which as far as we know may happen years from now).

UserLS
Advanced

Post by UserLS » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:55 pm

Hi, Narcís!
In the VCL version, Tag is a property inherited from TControl. It's already on our wish-list to implement such a property for the .NET version. In the meantime you could try using Title or Description properties for that purpose.
We cannot use Title property since it is showing up on the legend. I'd love to use the Description property, but it is readonly(???) :cry:

A also need some resolution for the templates problem. Can they be translated into a text file and somehow imported into a .NET version? What we are looking for is a fully automated process which we could include into our conversion module, so all the end user has to do is install new version of our app and run conversion against their data to bring it up to the required version.

Thank you for all your help!

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:46 am

Hi Profitstar,

We could extend the existing tee to ten utility to accept commandline arguments so that it can be called directly from your process. The translator uses a modified version of the TeeChart activex control that needs to exist on the machine.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

UserLS
Advanced

Series objectes

Post by UserLS » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:16 pm

Hi, Narcís!

Thanks for the update on the template issue. What about the tag property on the series objects and possible replacements for it? The description property would work for us just fine, if it wasn't readonly. Any other suggestions?

rpt

tool to convert TeeChart VCL/ActiveX template files to .NET

Post by rpt » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:19 pm

Narcís,

You mentioned in your previous post that You have created a tool for converting TeeChart VCL/ActiveX template files to TeeChart .NET template files. Could you please email me the URL so I can download it.

Thanks

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:07 am

Hi rpt,

Sure, I've just sent the URL to your forums contact e-mail address.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

UserLS
Advanced

Post by UserLS » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:51 am

Well, it's been about 4 months since I've asked about tag property (or something similar to it)... And as far as I can tell, we are not the only ones who desperately needs it. Since then you had a couple of releases... Is it so hard to add a property to a class (base class, please, not its descendants) and all you need to do with it - serialize! Unfortunately, to this day there is no work around for us for this problem. And the only suggestion form you to use the Description instead has a slight problem - it is read only (if someone could explain this one to me, please!)

AIS

Post by AIS » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:12 am

Hello,

the same request is also interesting for axes objects.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:56 pm

Hello,

We will try to implement this property for the next TeeChart for .NET v3 maintenance release.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:54 pm

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that Tag property of type object has been implemented to base class of many common TChart classes, e.g.: Axis, Series, etc; for the next release which will be published in the next 2/3 working days.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:38 am

Hello,

The new version is now available:

http://www.teechart.net/support/viewtopic.php?t=9186
Best Regards,
Steema Software

simon

Post by simon » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:55 am

ive found that the TAG property isnt saved when u do a chart.export.template.save(stream).

loading it back into the chart just returns a null for the tag property. is this a bug?
Last edited by simon on Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

simon

Re: Series objectes

Post by simon » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:06 am

narcis wrote: In the VCL version, Tag is a property inherited from TControl. It's already on our wish-list to implement such a property for the .NET version. In the meantime you could try using Title or Description properties for that purpose.
This is misleading.
14045174 wrote:Hi, Narcís!

Thanks for the update on the template issue. What about the tag property on the series objects and possible replacements for it? The description property would work for us just fine, if it wasn't readonly. Any other suggestions?
Basically the answer is the description is read-only as it returns the series type description. Ie. the series is a Fast Line.

so getting this tag thing working would be nice. just need to be able to save and load it from a template.