Export to PDF result in poor rendering of chart

TeeChart for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, Xamarin Studio (Android, iOS & Forms) & Monodevelop.
Mike Jones
Advanced

Export to PDF result in poor rendering of chart

Post by Mike Jones » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:18 pm

When I launch the Chart Editor, go to the Export tab, select PDF and save to a file, the resulting PDF has a couple of issues:

1. Upon immediately opening the chart get an error, "The font "Verdana" contains a bad /BBox. This is shown in a messagebox with "Adobe Reader" in caption

2. The drawing area of the chart is too big and covers up the left and bottom axis, part of the axes labels, and the chart title.

3. It is missing the legend

I have uploaded a zip file, called PDFResults.zip, containing 3 different files.

tchart1.pdf = results of using the chart editor | Export | PDF
tchart1.jpg = results of using the Chart Editor | Export | JPG
tchart1 - PrimoPDF.pdf = Results of using Chart Editor | Print | PrimoPDF print driver. You can get this at http://www.primopdf.com/primopdf_free_idx.aspx

I created the chart by simply creating a new Winform project in VS2005. Dropped a TChart control and a Chart Controller onto the form. Set the Chart Controler's Chart property to the tchart1. Then in the Form Load event after the IntializeCompent() simlply

this.lineSeries1.FillSampleValues(25);
this.lineSeries1.Pointer.Visible = true;

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:30 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the information.

I've been able to reproduce 1 using latest TeeChart for .NET v3 release and added it (TF02012868) to our defect list to be fixed for next releases

I haven't been able to reproduce 2 and 3. Which TeeChart version are you using?

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

Mike Jones
Advanced

Version

Post by Mike Jones » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:30 pm

I am using the latest release of version 3.2.2930.22968

Are you saying you see a legend when you export to PDF as shown in my chart1.pdf? That should be easy to reproduce.

The chart area overdrawing the axes, was very reproduceable as well. Matter of fact I have always seen this, but I haven't tried it on many charts.

Thanks

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:33 pm

Hi Mike,

Yes, I proceeded as you reported and I could only reproduce issue #1. I've sent you an e-mail with the resulting PDF file. Could you please send us a simple example project we can run "as-is" to reproduce those problems here?

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

Mike Jones
Advanced

project uploaded

Post by Mike Jones » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:44 pm

I have uploaded ChartExportToPdf.zip which contains a simple project that I used to export a chart to pdf

I have Adobe Reader 8.1.2 on my computer. This version was released in January 2008. Not sure if this is meaningful or not.

In my project I do have a custom version of the TeeChart.dll. We have made some very minor changes to the source. Mainly changing access to a few members of internal classes. I demonstrated the problem with the latest release of binaries as well. If you want simply replace the reference to my TeeChart.dll to your binary released version.

I also added a chart11.pdf to the project. It is the pdf I just created with this project.

Thanks

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:43 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the example project. I could reproduce the issue here using your application. However, it worked fine using our current TeeChart for .NET v3 sources. Also please notice that there's a newer v3 release. Could you please check if this version works fine at your end? I've also sent you an e-mail with the pdf files generated using your project and same file generated using current sources.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

Mike Jones
Advanced

Delay

Post by Mike Jones » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:40 pm

There will be a delay in upgrading our version. We are due to release in the next couple of weeks and I will not have the time to perform the upgrade until a couple weeks from now.

Glad to hear the issue is resolved. I will verify in a couple of weeks.

Mike Jones
Advanced

After upgrading to the latest TeeChart

Post by Mike Jones » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:09 pm

I have upgraded TeeChart and the PDF output looks better. I have a couple follow up questions.

Has item #1 in my original post been added to the bug list because I still see that issue

A new issue just observed. The colors of a chart are not accurately rendered in the PDF output.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:42 am

Hi Mike,
Has item #1 in my original post been added to the bug list because I still see that issue
Yes, it's tracking number is TF02012868.
A new issue just observed. The colors of a chart are not accurately rendered in the PDF output.
Could you please send us example PDF and image files so that we can compare them and point us which are the differences you see?

Thanks in advance!
Best Regards,
Steema Software

Mike Jones
Advanced

file uploaded

Post by Mike Jones » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:51 pm

I have uploaded a file called Chart1.zip. It contains 3 files

Chart1.jpg - is an accurate export of the chart I created. This file was created using the Export features in the TeeChart Chart Editor dialog

Chart1.pdf - is NOT accurate in regards to the colors on the chart. This file was created using the Export features in the TeeChart Chart Editor dialog.

Chart1-PrimoPDF.pdf - this is an accurate depiction of the same chart. This file was created by using the Print feature from the TeeChart Chart Editor dialog and selecting the PrimoPDF driver as the printer. You can get a copy of this PDF printer driver at http://www.primopdf.com/

As you can see the colors of the various series's from the TeeChart pdf are very different than the other 2 files. It appears that transparency values are not being maintained when creating the pdf.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:07 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the files. I see that TeeChart doesn't export transparency to PDF. However, it seems quite strange what happens with your chart. Could you also please send this chart's *.ten file or even better a sample project to reproduce a similar chart so that we can further investigate the issue here?

Thanks in advance!
Best Regards,
Steema Software

Mike Jones
Advanced

Is there a bug number assigned

Post by Mike Jones » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:21 pm

Has a TF # been assigned to this issue?

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:26 pm

Hi Mike,

No, we were waiting for your reply to my previous message. Could you please send a sample project we can run "as-is" to reproduce the issue here?

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

Mike Jones
Advanced

Posted sample project

Post by Mike Jones » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:29 pm

I have posted a sample project that demonstrates the problem when exporting a chart to PDF and that chart has a series where the Transparency is set to a value other than 0.

Please note that the charts in our application are using inherit off of the Bubble series. We draw rectangles to fill in parts of our chart and we set the transparency to 85. Thus in the sample picture I uploaded initially show many rectangles of different colors. It appears that exporting to PDF it does not handle transparency.

Please let me know if a TF item is assigned to this issue.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:56 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the example project. I could reproduce the issue here now and added it to the bug list with ID TF02013709.
Best Regards,
Steema Software