C# documentation

TeeChart for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, Xamarin Studio (Android, iOS & Forms) & Monodevelop.
Anthony

C# documentation

Post by Anthony » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:59 pm

Hi,

While browsing through TeeChart's online documentation I only see examples based on VB .NET code. However, here in our company we prefer C# as the language for implementing .NET applications.
From courses I know that VB .NET and C# are quite similar, although there are plenty of differences

Let me give an example based on VB.NET versus C# differences for TeeChart.

For example, for the series 0 the 3thd value on the x-axis can be set in VB .NET with:
TChart1.Series(0).XValues.Value(3) = 100.0

Now my problem is to find the equivalent C# code for this. My best guess is something like
TChart1.get_Series(0).XValues.set_Value(3,100.0);

If this is the correct code, you will agree that this looks rather different compared with VB .NET code above !!

It seems that for C# the Series property and the Value property are replaced by methods get_Series and set_value. Most likely because C# does not support indexed properties while VB.NET does. Therefor I am little bit scared to find much more differences like this in TeeChart.

So, how can I be sure about the proper TeeChart syntax for C# applications. Is there any documentation available ?

The problem is, my boss wants me to be sure, rather than guessing about the proper C# syntax :(

Many thanks in advance,
Regards,
Antoon Koster
Netherlands

Pep
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pep » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:30 pm

Hi Antoon,
While browsing through TeeChart's online documentation I only see examples based on VB .NET code. However, here in our company we prefer C# as the language for implementing .NET applications.
As I know the examples included in the documentation are based on C# and VB.Net. Also, we know it's very similar but we also prefer C#. As you can see the Demo features project are developed in C# as the TeeChart for Net components.
Could you please tell me where have you seen the VB.Net example so we can translate to C# and add it to the documentation for next releases ?

Also, I think in the net there are couple of free translation tools that will do the conversion for you.
The correct translation in your case would be :
VB.Net - TChart1.Series(0).XValues.Value(3) = 100.0
C# - tChart1.Series[0].XValues.Value[3] = 100;

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:53 am

Hi Pep,

Thanks for the quick response. But there seems to be something wrong in my TeeChart installation. Is it possible that we are only licensed for TeeChart based on VB.NET and not for C# ?

In the TeeChart 6 tutorials I only came across VB.NET examples. E.g. in chapter 4 "Axis Control" under "Date Time" next text follows:

[quote]
For t = 1 To 25
With TChart1.Series(0)
.AddXY DateValue("2003, 11, " & t), Rnd(t) * t, "", vbRed
End With
Next t
[unquote]

I did some further checks, but it's only VB.NET code all the way down the tutorials.

At the other hand, if I try your suggestion

tChart1.Series[0].XValues.Value[3] = 100;

then I get a compile error that tChart1 does not contain a definition for Series. I must admit that tChart1 object is not a 'normal' TeeChart instance but an ActiveX TeeChart, as a result from dragging the TeeChart ProActivex control to my Form in design mode. (private AxTeeChart.AxTChart tChart1). Is an ActiveX TeeChart control different from a 'normal' TeeChart control ?

I just want to get started with my first TeeChart app, so the first thing to do seems dragging a TeeChart control to my form. Right ???

Thanks again !
Regards,
Antoon Koster
Netherlands

Marjan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Marjan » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:52 am

Hi.

Are you using TeeChart ActiveX or TeeChart .NET product ? These are two different products. The later was developed entirely with VS and C# and is native .NET control.
Marjan Slatinek,
http://www.steema.com

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:05 am

Hi,

We are using TeeChart Pro ActiveX 6.0.

Customer Number: xxxxxxx
License number : xxxxxxxx
Password : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Could you explain (or where can I read) in some detail what the difference is with the TeeChart .NET version you mentioned ?

And what is the price for that TeeChart .NET version, and does that version include a full C# documentation.

BTW, is there also TeeChart support next week , or is Steema on holiday next week ?

Thanks !

Regards,
Antoon Koster
Netherlands

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:47 am

Hi Antohny,
Could you explain (or where can I read) in some detail what the difference is with the TeeChart .NET version you mentioned ?
The ActiveX version functions under Visual Studio .NET however the native C# version offers some environment advantages and may be a better choice with a long term view. You could try the TeeChart AX and/or .NET eval versions if you'd like a closer look. You can download them at http://www.steema.com/downloads/download.html.

The biggest difference is that TeeChart for .NET version is available with and without source code and the ActiveX version is only available without sources. The majority of funcionalities are the same (we're working implementing some that still not available in the .NET version). Another difference is that ActiveX version can be inserted as an object into web pages and, by now, .NET version can only be inserted as an image.
And what is the price for that TeeChart .NET version, and does that version include a full C# documentation.
TeeChart for .NET Developer License is US$499
TeeChart for .NET Developer License with 100% source code is US$1299

And yes, full documentation and C# examples and demos are provided.
BTW, is there also TeeChart support next week , or is Steema on holiday next week ?

Yes, there will be support next week.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:23 am

Hi,

Thanks for your full explanation, but ...

We just purchased a license for TeeChart ProActiveX and if I read the differences between the ProActiveX and the .NET version, I don't think I can convince my boss to buy also a license for the .NET version.

So, this means we have to stick with the ProActiveX version.

But this still leaves me with my problem of missing a full C# documentation for TeeChart ProActiveX. VB.NET is fully explained but for C# I can ony guess about the proper TeeChart syntax, as I explained in my earlier emails.

Merry Christmas.
Antoon Koster
Netherlands

Christopher
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Christopher » Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:32 am

Hi
But this still leaves me with my problem of missing a full C# documentation for TeeChart ProActiveX. VB.NET is fully explained but for C# I can ony guess about the proper TeeChart syntax, as I explained in my earlier emails.
The documentation and examples for the TeeChart Pro ActiveX Control are based around Microsoft Visual Studio version 6 rather than Microsoft Visual Studio .Net, so you will find that the vast majority of example code is written in Visual Basic version 6.

On the other hand, the documentation and examples for the TeeChart Pro for .Net are based around Microsoft Visual Studio .Net rather than Microsoft Visual Studio version 6, so you will find that the majority of example code is written in C#.

Steema Software support will always be at hand for you to help you with any TeeChart syntactical problems you may have in any supported programming environment.
Thank you!

Christopher Ireland (Steema crew)
Please be aware of the newsgroup archives:
http://www.teechart.net/support/search.php
http://groups.google.com
http://codenewsfast.com/

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:21 am

Hi,

Thanks again.

Maybe we must consider the .NET version ....

So, what is price for purchasing the .NET version while upgrading from are present ProActiveX V6 version. On your site I only see the price for upgrading from V7 version.

Regards,
Antoon Koster
Netherlands

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:18 pm

Hi Antoon,

You have two options to upgrade from your v6 ActiveX to .NET:

1) Upgrade your current v6 ActiveX to v7 at US$99 to beneift from the TeeChart for .NET offer for latest ActiveX release customers at US$229 so the total amount is US$328.

2) Purchase a TeeChart for .NET Single Developer License at US$499.

TeeChart for .NET is also available with 100% full source code, for v7 ActiveX customers is $970 while for non v7 AX customers is US$1299.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum