Problems Editing a TeeChart Office file

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
CAC

Problems Editing a TeeChart Office file

Post by CAC » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:07 pm

My users export TeeCharts from my Delphi App to a *.tee file. They then want to edit the chart data (ususally to add an x,y pair). When it only has a single series, all goes as expected, they can add new x and y values. However, when there are multiple series, which is almost always the case, editing data, or even adding a new x,y pair produces extremely wierd results. For instance, it copies an earlier point, adds new points at the beginning,etc. (I have the latest version of TeeChart Office.)

How do I allow my users to edit/add data points in this situation?

Thanks

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:30 am

Hi CAC,

I haven't been able to reproduce the issue here. Could you please send us a simple example project we can run "as-is" or a sample .tee file and let us know the exact steps we should follow to reproduce the issue here?

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

CAC

Post by CAC » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:12 pm

I produce the original chart in a D7 application by cycling through a Firebird 1.5 query result and grabbling x,y pairs for, in the case of the example I am sending, for each monitor well I have chosen.

My next question is how do I attach the file for you to review? :oops:

Thanks
Craig

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:57 pm

Hi Craig,

Sorry for not posting our file upload options. You can send your files at news://www.steema.net/steema.public.attachments newsgroup or at our upload page.

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

CAC

Post by CAC » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:13 pm

I just sent it along. It is called GrimesTest.tee

The problem appears when I try to add a new x,y pair.

Thanks

CAC

Post by CAC » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:06 am

Did you get the file I sent? I just wanted to makesure it made it.

To get around this problem, is there a way to store my user original setup of the TeeChart so that they can bring it up again?

CAC

Post by CAC » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:58 pm

Any luck with the Tee Office file yet?

xxxxxx
Advanced

Post by xxxxxx » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:59 am

is there a way to store my user original setup of the TeeChart so that they can bring it up again?
Try your luck with SaveChartToFile and with IncludeData as False
2. I also allow my users to play with data outside my programs using TeeChartOffice. There are many shortcomings in TeeChartOffice but I never met one you have described. I think you need to better describe your problem.
I have the latest version of TeeChart Office
There are few slightly different versions of TeeChartOffice.
One is distributed as free stand-alone application from http://www.teechart.net/files/teecharto ... Office.zip (I'll call it TeeChartOffice Free), another one is included into installation and is BPL-dependent and the last one is again standalone application available for download from http://www.steema.com/files/vcl/public/ ... Office.zip.
To me the main difference TeeChartOffice Free do includes ADO support (in demo it depends from conditional compilation). Also it might be compiled with TeeChart v.7.
Latest demo from TeeChart v8.02 contain significant BUG - they do not allow add new series to a Chart producing a message "List index out of bounds (-1)"! So far I had no time to investigate difference in the source code of TeeChart Office.
Regards, Alexander
=================
TeeChart Pro v8.05, Delphi 5 & Turbo Delphi Professional for Win32., Delphi & C++Builder 2009

CAC

Post by CAC » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:55 pm

I sent along an example file fro review, but haven't heard anything yet :?

Some more details that may help...The charts are made with line series. Each series contains different Y values (Water level elevations) and commonly different x values (dates).

In TeeChart Office, when I click on the Data tab, I am presented with all of my X and Y data pairs. In my example case, my first series has 30 x,y pairs and my second series has 27 x,y pairs. When I try to add a 28th pair to the second series this is what happens:

On posting the values, it get rid of the x,y pair above it and inserts a new x,y pair at the top of the series with the values of 1/27/1900 and 0 as the x,y pair.

If I try to add a new pair in the first series that has the 30 values by using the down arrow, it copies the x,y pairs into the new location adds new dates at the top with sequencial days beginning, in this case 1/30/1900, 1/31/1900, 2/1/1900, etc.

If I want to delete a single x,y pair, the delete button on the navigator deletes data from both series at once....also annoying.

Does this help?

xxxxxx
Advanced

Post by xxxxxx » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:01 pm

I can confirm that the issue with appending Series data do exists in TeeChart, it seems that TeeChartGrid.pas has a problem. I played also with Data Source and Data tabs in Chart Editor. Instead appending data it inserts some intermediate X values.
To CAC: I do not belong to Steema and is a simple user of TeeChart as you. I advise you to use Data Source as it allows more naturally hanlde series with different amount of values.
Regards, Alexander
=================
TeeChart Pro v8.05, Delphi 5 & Turbo Delphi Professional for Win32., Delphi & C++Builder 2009

CAC

Post by CAC » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:17 pm

I can't really connect to the data source. My application uses a client-server database. The data source that provided the results for the chart is a query built by a particular user as he/she progresses through a wizard. The query is replaced as other users proceed through the wizard, making their own choices.

Typically, a user may want to add a point once a quarter or monthly, something like that. So instead of totally recreating the chart's titles, colors, fonts, etc., editing the chart's data to add a point or two looked very appealing to my users. :?

xxxxxx
Advanced

Post by xxxxxx » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:16 pm

H-m, with LoadChartFromFile you could make your own customized application for modification of *.tee files. Two powerful TeeChart Office could misorient users.
Regards, Alexander
=================

xxxxxx
Advanced

Post by xxxxxx » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:26 pm

Latest demo from TeeChart v8.02 contain significant BUG - they do not allow add new series to a Chart producing a message "List index out of bounds (-1)"! So far I had no time to investigate difference in the source code of TeeChart Office.
I have found the reason of issue is function TTeeGallery.SelectedPaletteIndex:Integer; which fails if user did not select any theme and respective uninitialized ComboBox ItemIndex is -1.
In previous version of TeeChartOffice demo there is no bug in the same situation. However, I didn't save previous versions of TeeChart sources to see the difference.
So, appearent workaround is to initialize that ComboBox but may be the problem is deeper.
Regards, Alexander
=================