[dcc32 Fatal Error] VCLTee.TeeHtml.pas when building project - Rad Studio 10.4.2, TeeChart source v2020

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
SteemaUser

[dcc32 Fatal Error] VCLTee.TeeHtml.pas when building project - Rad Studio 10.4.2, TeeChart source v2020

Post by SteemaUser » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:13 pm

Rad Studio Sydney 10.4.2
TeeChart VCL FMX SOURCE-2020.31

When building an older project that has a TeeChart in it, I am getting the following error:

[dcc32 Fatal Error] VCLTee.TeeHtml.pas(934): F2039 Could not create output file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steema Software\Steema TeeChart Pro VCL FMX Source Code 2020.31\Source\VCL\VCLTee.TeeHtml.dcu'

Any ideas on where to start looking for the cause of this problem?

SteemaUser

Re: [dcc32 Fatal Error] VCLTee.TeeHtml.pas when building project - Rad Studio 10.4.2, TeeChart source v2020

Post by SteemaUser » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:28 pm

Starting with a clean Windows 7 machine, I installed RAD Studio 10.4.2 from scratch, also downloaded and installed TeeChart Pro v2021.31 on this machine.

This made no difference - I still get the same error message when I try to compile the project:

[dcc32 Fatal Error] VCLTee.TeeHtml.pas(933): F2039 Could not create output file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steema Software\Steema TeeChart Pro VCL FMX Source Code 2020.31\Source\VCL\VCLTee.TeeHtml.dcu'

I also tried just creating a simple VCL application with just a TChart component on it with a LineSeries in it.

Here, I get different errors when I try to compile:

[dcc32 Error] VCLTee.TeeSpline.pas(634): E2010 Incompatible types: 'TTeeFunctionClass' and 'class of TSmoothingFunction'
[dcc32 Error] VCLTee.TeeSpline.pas(638): E2010 Incompatible types: 'TTeeFunctionClass' and 'class of TSmoothingFunction'
[dcc32 Fatal Error] VCLTee.Series.pas(766): F2063 Could not compile used unit 'VCLTee.TeeSpline.pas'

What's happening???

SteemaUser

Re: [dcc32 Fatal Error] VCLTee.TeeHtml.pas when building project - Rad Studio 10.4.2, TeeChart source v2020

Post by SteemaUser » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:23 am

I think I figured out what causes the second error and a workaround, but it is clearly a bug:
[dcc32 Error] VCLTee.TeeSpline.pas(634): E2010 Incompatible types: 'TTeeFunctionClass' and 'class of TSmoothingFunction'

I think I will raise a support case on Monday as I'm not getting anywhere with the first problem
[dcc32 Fatal Error] VCLTee.TeeHtml.pas(933): F2039 Could not create output file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steema Software\Steema TeeChart Pro VCL FMX Source Code 2020.31\Source\VCL\VCLTee.TeeHtml.dcu'

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:43 am

Hello,

This is probably a case of a miscofiguration in the paths.
If you want to debug TeeChart sources, you need to have the "Source\VCL" path in the Library path.
Otherwise, you just need to run TeeRecompile and check the "Compiled\Delphi26.win32" path (or "Compiled\Delphi26.win64", etc depending on the platform) is in the Library path.

Also note the "VCLTee" prefix should be in the "unit scope names".
Check HowTo setup Paths in the IDE for more details about the paths.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software
Av. Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia (SP)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Please read our Bug Fixing Policy

SteemaUser

Post by SteemaUser » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:37 pm

I have the following additional information:

If I give the (Windows) user rights to write to directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steema Software\Steema TeeChart Pro VCL FMX Source Code 2020.31\Source\VCL\", then the problem goes away... it looks like "something" is attempting to compile the DCU straight into that directory.

So the question is - why is TeeChart trying to compile *.dcu binaries into the Program Files directory?? - if you let it do that, everything works... but should it be doing that?

What path(s) should I look at to understand how that can happen?

Regarding the second problem with TTeeFunctionClass, I see another person had the same issue, I found a workaround for that too, but I don't want to "pollute" the thread with that issue, let's concentrate on the Program Files issue first, I might comment in the other thread with what I found.

SteemaUser

Post by SteemaUser » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:46 pm

Looking at the Library paths, I see this:
teechart_libs.png
teechart_libs.png (26.23 KiB) Viewed 11365 times

Are you saying I need to add another line, that points to Source\VCL ?

Also, why is the $(TEESRCPATH) flagged as an invalid path by the IDE?

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:59 am

Hello,

Is the TEESRCPATH defined in the environment variables?
teesrcpath.png
teesrcpath.png (45.69 KiB) Viewed 11330 times

It probably is, and it probably has the value: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steema Software\Steema TeeChart Pro VCL FMX Source Code 2020.31\Source\VCL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Steema Software\Steema TeeChart Pro VCL FMX Source Code 2020.31\Source\FMX
Note there are two paths in the same variable (separated by a ;), which the compiler parses without issues, but the IDE flags it as an invalid path in that editor.

Then, if you want to compile TeeChart as you go, you can leave $(TEESRCPATH) in the Library path. If you just want to use the compiled packages, you can remove $(TEESRCPATH) and leave $(TEELIBPATH) or C:\Program Files (x86)\Steema Software\Steema TeeChart Pro VCL FMX Source Code 2020.31\Compiled\Delphi27.win32\Lib which should be the same.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software

SteemaUser

Post by SteemaUser » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:51 pm

TEESRCPATH is defined in the environment variables on my system too.
teechart_env.png
teechart_env.png (61.36 KiB) Viewed 11323 times

The problem seems to be that when I build my project, Delphi wants to recompile VCLTee.TeeHtml.pas for some reason, even though this file has not been changed.

The compilation then fails because the user doesn't have rights to write VCLTee.TeeHtml.dcu into the Program Files directory (only the Trusted Installer user has the rights to write in Program Files).

Why did all the DCUs get installed into Program Files, where they cannot be rebuilt?

I noticed on your screenshot that your installation appears to be on Drive E:, so you probably won't see this problem.

SteemaUser

Post by SteemaUser » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:56 pm

Just to follow up with the solution to this problem, in case anyone else runs into it:

I uninstalled TeeChart completely, then reinstalled. This time, when TeeRecompile executed, I created a TeeChart Source Code Folder outside the Program Files hierarchy.... and let TeeRecompile go about its business.

Basically, don't just blindly accept the Source Code Folder location that TeeRecompile suggests by default - it is NOT necessarily a good place!

At this point, it looks like everything is working normally. :D

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:14 pm

Hello,

Another alternative is to run the IDE with high privileges (as administrator) so it has enough rights to write there.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software