Display settings and font size

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
EdDressel

Re: Display settings and font size

Post by EdDressel » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:37 pm

Chris:

Thank you. I see this as pretty serious as anyone using grather than a 100% DPI is going to have probems, and that is not uncommon today.

The tracker has it as "normal" importance. Can it be escalated?

Thank you for your consideration.

Ed Dressel
Ed Dressel
President
RetireReady Solutions

wasowerby

Post by wasowerby » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:12 pm

Hello Ed,

Sorry to butt in again, but (ref your comment about different font sizes on my chart) I found the reason that the sizes were very different at 175% was that I had the Axis Labels using Verdana and the Titles using Segoe UI. Hadn't noticed that all these years! Hope you get your issue resolved quickly, as High DPI displays are becoming the norm.

Andrew

EdDressel

Post by EdDressel » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:28 pm

Christopher:

Thank you for the response.

Yes it is a fair summary but because the charts are not usable in the update (which makes my software not usable) it is a pretty serious issue.

I would have hoped the bug would have high priority, but the bug report has "normal" for the importance.

Can it be escalated? I really need a fix ASAP.

Ed Dressel
Ed Dressel
President
RetireReady Solutions

Christopher
Guru

Post by Christopher » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:11 pm

Hello Ed,
EdDressel wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:28 pm
Can it be escalated? I really need a fix ASAP.
I've escalated the importance of issue id=2364 to 'critical', as you can now see. I've also added the binaries which we used to reproduce the problem - similarly to you, we can reproduced the oversized font expansion running binaries built in Delphi 10.4 and Delphi 10.3, but not in Delphi 10.2.3. A curiousity we've discovered is that in a Windows Virtual Machine none of the binaries, when run, display the oversized font problem.

One of Delphi developers who's now back online hopes to be able to debug this issue at some stage this week.
Best Regards,
Christopher Ireland / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Instructions - How to post in this forum

EdDressel

Post by EdDressel » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:27 pm

Thank you!... I have source code and would to love to know what to change so I do not have to wait for a new build.
Ed Dressel
President
RetireReady Solutions

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:15 am

Hello,

We are doing some tests here and it seems to be important what are you exactly increasing or how are you exactly doing it.
Are you only increasing the font sizes at "Ease of Access" or are you increasing everything?

Our tests involve the ChangeScale override at TeeProcs.pas (VCLTee.TeeProcs.pas, FMXTee.Procs.pas). Could you please try if completely removing it fits your needs?
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software
Av. Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia (SP)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Please read our Bug Fixing Policy

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:20 am

Hello,

I've modified your project adding the possibility to modify the font and size of all the components in the form. Note you can also adjust the Font Zoom but it should be automatically adjusted depending on the DPI of the screen where it resides.

I've modified the ChangeScale override I mentioned in my last reply to automatically adjust the fonts in the chart to the current screen DPI:

Code: Select all

{$IFNDEF FMX}
procedure TCustomTeePanel.ChangeScale(M, D: Integer{$IFDEF D24}; isDpiChange: Boolean{$ENDIF});
begin
  inherited;

if M <> D then
  begin
    Canvas.FontZoom:=FView3DOptions.FontZoom*M/D;
    FView3DOptions.FontZoom:=Round(Canvas.FontZoom);
  end;
end;
{$ENDIF}
The rest of components in that form (labels and edit boxes) don't do that by themselves so I added some code to adjust the font sizes of these components when the screen DPI is modified (OnAfterMonitorDpiChanged event).

In the example, I'm getting the Caption Font to apply the same size to all the fonts (those in the chart but also the labels, and edit boxes outside) in case the font size has been modified at "Ease of Access" options.

Find the example with an exe compiled with the mentioned changes here.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software

EdDressel

Post by EdDressel » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:12 pm

It doesn't look like it is fixed, but I will do more checking.

A few items to follow up on:

1) I do not get any email notifications for this forum even though my email is correct. I kept checking back for a while but I didn't hear anything. Is there a way to get notifications? (I checked my settings and I would think it was turned on).

2) The same for the bug reporting tool--I subscribed to this bug but didn't receive any notifications that it was fixed. How do I get them turned on?

Thank you much!

Ed Dressel
Ed Dressel
President
RetireReady Solutions

EdDressel

Post by EdDressel » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:34 pm

Is there a reason you aren't using my demo? In your demo, you are controlling all of the fonts on the form. I can't do that: I have hundreds of forms with some forms having hundreds of components.

This used to work in a previous version fo TChart.

Was there a reason you didn't use my original demo? Even with the source code change you recommended, my demo still produces the same problem. Here is a screenshot of my demo with 100% font on the left and 200% font on the right:

The fonts are way too large.

ANd here is a screen shot of my demo using Delphi 10.2.3, TChart 2019.27.19 at 175% (I don't have 10.2 on my computer, one of my coworkers does so I had him run it and he can't show at 200%).

This isn't fixed yet.
Ed Dressel
President
RetireReady Solutions

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:04 am

Hello,

We'll check the problems with the notifications. Sorry for that.

Could you please tell us how what windows setting are you exactly modifying to test this? You can resize the fonts dpi or everything depending on the exact setting.
Also tell us if you are logging out and re-logging in after applying the settings.

I also note the screenshot from your colleague looks blurred. Could you please ask the same two questions to him/her?
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software

EdDressel

Post by EdDressel » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:16 pm

We are not logging in and out, but that is the same for the image for 10.2. I try to not have to do that. The demo you provided to fix it required a lot of work on our side to fix every font because of the chart (and they currently work just fine).

I am guessing the image was blurry because of the app he used to clip it with.
Ed Dressel
President
RetireReady Solutions

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:59 am

Hello Ed,
Yeray wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:04 am
We'll check the problems with the notifications. Sorry for that.
Mail notifications seem to work fine for me both for this forum and for bugzilla. Please check your junk folder.
Yeray wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:04 am
Could you please tell us how what windows setting are you exactly modifying to test this? You can resize the fonts dpi or everything depending on the exact setting.
I'm still interested on this information. It's not the same to resize the fonts than to resize everything.
EdDressel wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:16 pm
We are not logging in and out, but that is the same for the image for 10.2. I try to not have to do that.
Windows has changed how this works when changing the size of everything. Basically, text is correctly resized "on hot" but the rest of the elements look better after a logout and login. Can you please tell us what Windows version are you running?
EdDressel wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:16 pm
I am guessing the image was blurry because of the app he used to clip it with.
That's a valid hypothesis. Note RAD Studio has also improved high DPI support in recent versions so that could be another explanation. Or he/she may be resizing things through a different setting.

I'm doing these questions because there are quite a lot of variables here that affect the final result.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software

EdDressel

Post by EdDressel » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:36 pm

I found the bug reports in my spam folder. Thanks.

The setting were are changing is right clicking on the desktop and selecting "Display Settings" and then changing the "Change the size of text, apps and other items"

We are not logging in and out. Windows version 10 Build 19041.450.
Ed Dressel
President
RetireReady Solutions

EdDressel

Post by EdDressel » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:14 pm

Sorry, but any solutions yet? This is really hurting the quality of my application.
Ed Dressel
President
RetireReady Solutions

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:23 pm

Hello,
EdDressel wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:36 pm
The setting were are changing is right clicking on the desktop and selecting "Display Settings" and then changing the "Change the size of text, apps and other items"

We are not logging in and out. Windows version 10 Build 19041.450.
Thanks for the extra details.
Yeray wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:15 am
Our tests involve the ChangeScale override at TeeProcs.pas (VCLTee.TeeProcs.pas, FMXTee.Procs.pas). Could you please try if completely removing it fits your needs?
This is what I get at 175% (I can't set it to 200%) commenting the code at the ChangeScale override.
DisplaySize_D9IOn8ZBD7.png
DisplaySize_D9IOn8ZBD7.png (84.42 KiB) Viewed 34077 times
The "Set all fonts" button is only setting the same font for all the chart elements, to see differences clearer if any:

Code: Select all

procedure TForm7.BAllFontsClick(Sender: TObject);

procedure SetFont(AFont: TTeeFont);
  begin
    AFont.Name:=Label1.Font.Name;
    AFont.Size:=Label1.Font.Size;
  end;

begin
  SetFont(Chart1.Title.Font);
  SetFont(Chart1.Axes.Left.LabelsFont);
  SetFont(Chart1.Axes.Bottom.LabelsFont);
  SetFont(Chart1.Legend.Font);
  SetFont(Series1.Marks.Font);
end;
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software