InstallShield 2012 Self-Rregister problem in IS2012 for TeeChart Pro ActiveX version 2012/19

TeeChart for ActiveX, COM and ASP
Shia (Excalibur)

InstallShield 2012 Self-Rregister problem in IS2012 for TeeChart Pro ActiveX version 2012/19

Post by Shia (Excalibur) » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:12 pm

Hello.

We are using "TeeChart Pro ActiveX version 2012/19".
We incorporate it into our application, and want to deliver the .ocx file together with our application.

I built an installation package using InstallShield 2012 Professional Edition, with setting for a 64bit target machine, using "Template Summary" with value "AMD64;1033".

I include the file TeeChart201964.ocx in my packaging, and set its Properties to "Self Register".
When I run the installation setup, I get the following error: "Error 1904. Module C:\...\TeeChart201964.ocx failed to register. HRESULT -2147220473."

Also, the engineer tells me that I need to run an additional package on the target machine in order for the EXE to run: vcredist_x64.exe, Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable.

I have a few questions, and would most appreciate any help you can offer.

1. Am I permitted to distribute the OCX file to our customers, or only to use it in compiling & linking our deliverable EXE ? I want to make sure that I am not violating any licensing rules.

2. Can someone suggest how to get around this problem (self register) ?

3. I searched on the internet and saw the following possible explanation for the error code:
- The request or function call is out of sequence. Check for programming errors.
- The object can't accept the call because its initialize function or equivalent has not been called.
Does this indicate that I need to run the install of the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable" before the self register occurs ?
If yes, can you suggest how I can force the install of the redistributable (e.g., as a customer action) before the self register kicks in ?

4. I tried a few other options which also gave me problems:
I first created a batch file which opens a command prompt, requests administrator privileges, and then runs "Regsvr32 TeeChart201964.ocx" to register the file in the Registry.
(a) I called LaunchApp or LaunchAppAndWait with this batch file.
(b) I added a Custom Action to run the batch file.
Results: I would get a command prompt which starts running the batch file, but runs multiple times, over & over again, until the installation completes or I kill it.

Thank you for any suggestions !
Shia & Asher
Excalibur Systems

Pep
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: InstallShield 2012 Self-Rregister problem in IS2012 for TeeChart Pro ActiveX version 2012/19

Post by Pep » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:09 pm

Hi Shia,

I'm just preparing an answer to all your questions.
In meantime I'd suggest you take a look at the Tutorials included into the TeeChart installation, that talks about distribution.

You'll find that information in Tutorial 18 - TeeChart runtime installation requirements (find the tutorials at TeeChart's program group).